One of those biscuit basics you need in your recipe file – to be enjoyed with your tea or coffee!
Makes about 18 sandwich cookies
- 6 tbsp margarine (dairy-free)
- 65g sugar
- few drops of vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 130g plain flour
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour and salt.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the margarine, sugar and vanilla until just combined.
- Slowly beat the dry into the butter/sugar until the dough starts to come together.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and gently knead until it forms a dough.
- Flatten into a disc and refrigerate for about 30 mins (40 if you can).
- Roll out thinly (~5mm thick) and cut out ~50mm fluted rounds – stamp out a star/heart/whatever-shaped cutter you have from half of these.
- Place on greaseproof paper on a couple of trays and refrigerate briefly for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 15-20 mins until golden (turn around/swap trays half way through and check them at 15 – they brown quite quickly if they were rolled out thinly!)
- Allow to cool and sift icing sugar over the star stamped rounds.
- Sandwich together with jam, curd or dairy-free alternative of Nutella.
- For an alternative zingy filling, I’ve included my first attempt at dairy-free lemon curd below!
- Dairy-free Nutella can be quite sweet so sandwich with a sharp-flavoured jam (blackcurrant goes well) or reduce the sugar in the biscuit recipe.
- Cover tightly with cling film once you’re done – otherwise they soften quickly!
Dairy free lemon curd
- 1.5 lemons (juice)
- 50g cornflour
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- few drops of vanilla
- small knob of margarine
Whisk together all the ingredients except the margarine in a small saucepan continuously (it can thicken quickly so keep an eye on it, but even if it does start looking like a gloopy mess, take it off the heat and whisk together and it’ll become smooth.) Whisk in the margarine and leave to cool. (Taste-test the mixture before it thickens and adjust the sweetness by adding sugar or more lemon)